Bute Farms H-O
The English translation of the farm name in bold italic is from: 'History of the Isle of Bute' volume 1 by J K Hewison. All details given are according to the "Bute Record of Rural Affairs"
HiltonHugh Lamont: Ran the farm for many years in conjunction with his butcher's shop in Port Bannantyne. He introduced Red Poll cattle to the island. His wife was a daughter of Bryce Martin, Glecknabae.
William Ritchie: From Fancy Farm, Gourock, followed on in the farm after Hugh Lamont's demise.
Home FarmLamont's quarter
Formerly called Kerrylamont
Samuel Girwood: The author of " Bute Records of Rural Affairs," farmed here in the early years of the nineteenth century.
William Barr: From West Kilbride, followed. He married Rebecca Duncan (Scoulag), and at his death his son,
William Barr: followed, he maintained a good herd of Aryshire and specialised in growing early potatoes. When Bute Estate took over in 1887 to make it their Home Farm, William, along with his mother and sister Ann moved to Barone Park.
William McIntyre: Was the first manager of Home Farm for Bute Estate.
William Gracie: Of Ayrshire was the next successful manager and also found time to manage Scoulag at the same time.
KerrycroyThe hard quarter
1844 Robert Stewart.
William Stewart: Farmed here at the end of the nineteenth century.
James Simpson: (Mid St Colmac), farmed here for a while before taking up farming in Hampshire. His son carried on a haulage contractors business at Port Glasgow.
John Morton: The next tenant came from Mauchline, he carried in here until his retirement in 1949 when he move to the White Lodge.
James Lyon: Drumachloy
followed on as tenant. He was married to Susan Crawford (Little Kilchattan).
KerrycrusachThe gaping quarter
Adam McFarlane: Was the tenant at the end of the nineteenth century and had a good strain of Clydesdales.
Ninian Duncan: (Langalchorad), was outstanding in ploughing matches. He emigrated to Wyoming, U.S.A. His wife was the sister of William T Esplin, Kingarth Schoolmaster. The farm was divided into small holdings under the direction of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Kerrylamontsee Home Farm
KerrymenochThe middle quarter
John Martin: A brother-in-law to Ardnahoe, having married sisters farmed here into the early part of the twentieth century. Four of his brothers who took to engineering and were located in Glasgow. Archibald was well known in his position of Superintendent Engineer with David MacBrayne Ltd. His son John came to Bute marrying Isabella MacIntyre, Kildavannan. John Martin's wife was Jeannie Barr (Kerrylamont), and of their family, Rebecca married John Weir, Inverneill, Ardrishaig, and later of Ardno, St. Cathrines, Argyllshire, while Helen became the wife of James McIntyre, Little Grenach. John the older son was early established at Scalpsie, and William Barr: John's younger brother, took over Kerrymenoch following his fathers death in 1905
Robert Duncan (Kilwhinlech) was next to take up the tenancy. He specialised in stock-breeding, particularly in Clydesdales.
KerrytonliaThe low grey quarter
1833 Alex. McConechy. 1840 John McDougall: Farmed here in the mid nineteenth century. His son-in-law ;
Daniel Gemmell: A native of Maybole, Ayrshire followed in the tenancy.
William Gemmell: Daniel's eldest son followed his father in the farm until his death. One of his daughters, Elizabeth, married Robert Crawford, Langalchorad.
John Currie: A Rothesay butcher, changed over from Ballycurrie to take up the tenancy at Kerrytonlia. He produced prime cattle and sheep for his business.
Duncan McAllister: Took up tenancy in May 1951, changing over from Nether Ardroscadale.
KilbrideSt. Bride's cell
Mrs Stevenson: Whose husband was from Uplawmoor, Renfrewshire was one of the Acholter family. She was in tenancy for a long period, well supported by her family. Of her daughters, one is the wife of William Simpson (Mid St. Colmac, another of Charles McFarlane, Cranslagmory.
John Currie: A nephew took over the tenancy when Mrs Stevenson gave up the farm following her son James's early death in the Great War.
Little KilchattanThe church of Catan
1839 Robert McAlister.
Robert Crawford: From Ayrshire and his wife Susan Barr, the oldest of the Kerrylamont family farmed here, they had a large family. Thomas of Drumreoch and Langalbuinoch, and William of Langalchorad. Robert carried on a successful butcher's business in Rothesay. The oldest daughter, Rebecca, was the wife of Thomas Morrison, joiner, Rothesay, Susan married John Gemmell, Kerrytonlia and Leicestershire, amd Jeanie, Taggart MacKirdy, coal merchant, Rothesay.
John Crawford: The youngest member of the family continued the tenancy. His wife, Anne McAlister, was from the Meikle Kilmory family. Of their three daughters Susan is wife of James Lyon, Kerrycroy.
Meikle KilchattanThis farm embraces Culevin which used to be let separately.
James Duncan: The "Nailer" was tenant here until his death in 1890. His first wife was Mary Martin (Largizea), the second was a sister of
Alexander McFarlane who became his successor on the farm.
Alexander McFarlane: Who changed over from Drumreoch, was successful in breeding Clydesdales and Ayrshires. His wife was Margaret Barr (Kerrylamont), and of their children, Charles; he took over Cranslagmory, Alexander; farmed at Kirkhohn, Wigtonshire, Duncan; lost his life in the Great War. Their daughters, Rebecca; she was the wife of Ninian Duncan, Little Kilmory, and Catherine, she organised the placing of the Land Army girls onto Bute farms during the Second World War and died in 1950.
KildavannanSt. Manan's well
John McIntyre: Was tenant here, and on his death his wife Elizabeth Lyon (Auchavoulig) successfully carried on during her lifetime. Of her daughters, Isabella became the wife of John Martin, Glasgow.
Thomas Lochhead: Local representative of Alexander Cross and Sons Ltd, married Helen and became tenant here. He was a strong exhibitor at the show in Clydesdale and Border Leicester sections. Their daughter Elizabeth married Robert McDougall, Birgidale Crieff. Thomas Lochhead: The son, took over the farm and continued in the work of his father. He also had considerable success with Ayrshire Cattle, specialising in Bulls.
1840 Alexander Scott.
McCallum Brothers: From Kames, on the opposite shore of the Kyle of Bute, were tenants of this sheep farm until the early part of the twentieth century. Colin later transferred to Upper Ardroscadale.
Ronald Orr: A Glasgow man took up tenancy in 1940. He only lasted a few years.
Robert Lammie: From Greenhags, Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire was the next tenant. His wife was the daughter of A D McColl of The Bennan, Renfrewshire.
Little Kilmory1840 Hugh Montgomerie: Who was noted for exhibiting stock and crops was tenant here. Samuel Girwood: Was the next tenant.
Thomas Girwood his brother, followed.
Charles Duncan: From Scoulag a first class farmer and stockman followed. He was a very popular judge at shows, a notable singer, after dinner speaker and also carried out the trade of fishing. His daughter Maggie Jane by his first wife, married Alexander Robertson, Cranslagvory. His second wife was Jane McAllister, Mid Ascog.
Ninian Duncan: Carried on the tenancy following the sudden accidental death of his father. Robert a younger brother emigrated to Canada. Ninian, also died suddenly and was succeeded by his wife ;
Rebecca McFarlane: (Meikle Kilchattan) carried on the tenancy assisted by her youngest son Alexander. Her eldest son Charles went into engineering before taking up the position of agent for the local branch of the Farmers Union, her daughter Margaret married James McAllister, Meikle Kilmory.
Meikle KilmoryThe Virgin Mary burying ground, with a chapel
1829 John Jamieson.
1840 Andrew Haig: Was famous in farming circles for both stock and crop, taking prizes for both at Annual Shows.
James McAlister: From Mid Ascog followed as tenant here, he was twin brother to Mrs Charles Duncan, Little Kilmory. He bred fine Clydesdale and Ayrshire's and died as a result of an accident leaving behind a young family.
Ann MacKay: Of the Kilchattan Mill family, his widow carried on the work of the farm assisted by her sons and daughters.
James McAlister: Her eldest son carried on the farm after her death before moving on to take up residence at Bruchag.
William McMillan: From Barefield followed in the tenancy.
KilwhinleckCell of the narrow flag or stone
1806 Peter Tosh.
Robert Duncan: Was a long tenant here, his son, Robert Duncan: Succeeded for a while on the death of his father before taking up the tenancy at Kerymenoch.
James McMillan: Was the next tenant.
Alexander Ferguson: A son of Duncan Ferguson, Kilchattan Butts followed in the tenancy.
KnockanreochThe grey eminence
John D McMillan: Farmed here until his death, his wife, a daughter of William McIntyre, Home Farm died young. Of their family John took over the tenancy of Eskechreggan, William, Meikle Kilmory, Archibald emigrated to Canada, and James farmed Cranslagloan. The youngest son, Thomas Barr, named after his uncle of Eskechraggan, followed the trade of blacksmith.
Ed. Macdonald: Took over the farm after marrying Elizabeth, the eldest daughter. Janette, the youngest daughter, resided at Kirn with Mr and Mrs Caskie, her aunt and uncle.
LangalbuinochThe profitable field
1840 John Currie: and his family farmed here until the late-nineteenth century.
Thomas and Archibald Baillie: From Cumbrae, followed on in the tenancy.
Hugh Baillie: The son of Thomas carried on after his father and uncles deaths. He established a flourishing butcher's business at Saltcoats.
George K Baillie: Was the next tenant following Hugh's death, he too had established a butcher's business, in the town of Paisley. His son Thomas a keen Poultry exhibitor and judge was a representative of the firm James Borland and Sons, Seedsmen, Kilmarnock, his twin brother Alexander D ran a Fleshers business at Paisley Road West, Glasgow.
Thomas Crawford: From Drumreoch was the next tenant at Langalbuinoch.
Robert Crawford: The son of Thomas followed on after his fathers death. He was a keen Clydesdale enthusiast and was married to May Jenkins.
LangalchoradA plain fauld
Mark Crawford: Farmed here at the early part of the nineteenth century.
Hugh Duncan: Scoulag, Made history here with his Ayrshire cattle. He was an enthusiast at ploughing matches. He died in 1913. His sons Ninian and Robert, emigrated to Wyoming, U.S.A. Hugh farmed at the Bents, West Calder, until his death in 1943. His son Hugh carries on his name there. Their mother was Margaret Mackay (Kilchattan Mill), and their only sister, Ann, became the wife of William Barr Crawford (Little Kilchattan)
William B and Took over the tenancy of Langalchorad and also the butcher's business Robert Crawford: John Gibson, at Gallowgate, Rothesay.
Robert Crawford: William's son followed on at the farm, after his fathers death. His sister Susan is the wife of James Martin, Gallachan, while Annie married David Smith, Kellochhead, Galston, Ayrshire.
LargivrechtanThe rocky declivity
1840 Stewart Black.
James Simpson: From Ayrshire was tenant.
John Simpson: His son followed for a while before taking over Bannatyne Mains. Some of the family emigrated to the United States of America.
Henry S Simpson: Followed on in the tenancy. He also ran a farm at Foxbar, Paisley at the same time.
John McLean: Sandbank, Argyllshire, was the next tenant, his wife was the granddaughter of Archibald Morrison Craigbiorach.
LargizeanThe daisy field
Archibald Martin: Occupied the farm in the early 1800's. Of the daughters, they married; Robert Mackay, (Kilchattan Mill), John Lyon, (Auchavoulig), William Hunter, (Upper Ettrick), and James Duncan (Kilchattan). Of the sons, Bryce the eldest, occupied Auchrossan, Kilfinan and Knockshimmoch Patna, Ayrshire and John, he was the tenant at Lubas and Ardnahoe. . Archibald Martin: The youngest son, married Jeanie Duncan of Scoulag and spent most of his 86 years on Largizean.
Thomas Matthewson: Married Margaret, Jeanie and Archibald's only daughter and continued the tenancy. Their daughter Jeanie married Alex McKay, Bruchag.
LochendMcFarlane: This farm, at the south west end of Loch Ascog was, in the hands of McFarlane's who carried it on for many years.
Peter Canning: Took over the occupancy of the farm in the late 1940's. He also ran a Contracting Business in Rothesay.
LochlyMcFarlane: Situated on the shores of Loch Fad, this small holding was also run by the McFarlane's in combination with Lochend.
Malcolm McPhee: Continued the tenancy until his death.
Roderick McPhee: Continued after his father.
LubasA small bay
1880's John Martin: Farmed here before moving to Ardnahoe.
John McFie: Followed in the tenancy and specialised in Clydesdale breeding. His first wife was the sister of Archibald Morrison of the Bush, by whom there was one son, Daniel. His second wife was Elizabeth Hunter (Upper Ettrick) with whom he retired to Alt-an-Righ, Port Bannatyne.
Daniel McFie: Followed his father in the tenancy, and eventually transferred to Ballycaul. Donald Potts: Was the next tenant.
MecknockThe pigs stone
1890's Thomas Muir: Was tenant here. His wife was an Ayrshire woman.
Robert Muir: Their eldest son farmed at Greenloaning, Perthshire before returning to Bute to take over the tenancy, and later moved to Ardmaleish. The second son,
William C., carried out a successful clothing business in Rothesay. Thomas, the youngest, spent some time in Wyoming in the USA before returning to spend his retirement on Bute. Dugald McLean: Was the next tenant. His son,
CharlesMcLean: Followed on in the tenancy after his father.
Milton James Morrison: Farmed here in the nineteenth century, and his son John was well known in high-cutting ploughing, and was successful in many competitions before finally emigrating to Canada.
James Middleton: Was the next tenant, a sterling ploughman who worked for the Estate for many years. He move to Kilwhinleck leaving his son,
Rodden Middleton: To carry on the tenancy.
Donald MacKinnon: A native of Bunchrew, Inverness-shire, who got his introduction to Bute from his Second World War service, followed on the tenancy after the untimely death of Rodden.
New FarmThis farm was at one time in the hands of a member of the Kidd Family, another member of which vacated Kelspoke in the later part of the nineteenth century, but the name is not now represented in any of the families on the farms. It has been, in the interval, in the hands of the Estate.
|Copyright © 2001-, Bute Sons & Daughters|